History of Oakmont Yacht Club
The Oakmont Yacht Club holds its place as the oldest inland Yacht Club in the United States.
It still has the same vitality today as it was when it was founded on July 4, 1903, by C.V. Tiers and a group of his friends who were devoted to boating and other activities. At the end of the first year, its membership totaled forty boating enthusiasts.
Clubhouse facilities in the founding year consisted of one rented houseboat in not the best condition - and an obligation of the membership was to take one's turn sleeping aboard the houseboat, ready to adjust the lines to suit the Allegheny Rivers' mood of the moment or to man the bilge pumps should the fragile craft begin to take on water.
In those early days, the Commodore's fleet was made up almost entirely of rowboats, to be followed later by canoes and sailboats. This was not unusual because nothing but man or wind propelled craft could be found on any body of water until 1916, when the first motor boat was introduced.
The 1920's and 1930's were wonderful years for Oakmont. The clarity of the river made swimming and other water sports popular during the hot summer days that ended in balmy evenings, perfect for dining and dancing under the stars. The Club was the very center of the area's social life, popular with young and old alike. Parties and Regattas brought many dignitaries to Oakmont, among them President Franklin D. Roosevelt who visited the Club in 1935 and 1937 as attested by his signature in the guest register.
Post war years brought the automobile into competition with boating and other water sports, but Oakmont remained the mainstay for true boat lovers. Today, with great interest of power boating, the Club is more than ever the center of river activities. Oakmont's present fleet totals houseboats and cruisers of all types.
Wherever you go on U.S. waters, it's likely you'll see the familiar red and white burgee of the Oakmont Yacht Club flying from the mast of a proud owner's boat - a burgee that is a respected symbol of water safety.
Constitution Adopted August 12, 1903
Club House Opened
New By-Laws Adopted